Procedure - Intravenous Therapy
Intravenous, or within-vein, therapy is used at Ogden Clinic in Utah to treat patients with blood diseases, those who are dehydrated, and to deliver necessary medications following an illness or surgery. Intravenous therapy is the quickest way to deliver fluids throughout the body, because they are carried by the circulation of blood. IV therapy is an effective way for doctors to treat a variety of conditions, and is also a type of chemotherapy.
Uses for Intravenous Therapy at Ogden Clinic
Intravenous therapy is most commonly done through a line inserted into peripheral veins on the arms, hands, feet, or legs.
- Medication Delivery: Intravenous therapy is the preferred method of medication delivery for patients suffering with an illness, those who have been in an accident, or just had surgery. By injecting the medicine directly into the vein, patients receive the medication they need more quickly than with oral medications, which are largely lost in digestion.
- Fluid Replacement: Since intravenous therapy is the fastest way to disperse fluids throughout the body, patients suffering with dehydration benefit from intravenous fluid replacement.
- Correct Electrolyte Imbalances: Whether through dehydration or different medical conditions, patients with electrolyte imbalances also benefit from intravenous therapy.
- Blood Transfusions: Blood transfusions are a life-saving procedure used to replace blood for people who have suffered a trauma or lost blood during surgery. People with blood diseases like hemophilia or sickle-cell disease often require regular blood transfusions.
- Nutrition: Intravenous therapy also provides patients with the nutrients their body needs to heal, without going through the processes of eating and digestion. IV therapy is especially useful for patients who have just undergone surgery. Some patients also benefit from IV nutrition as a treatment for deficiencies in certain nutrients like amino acids or vitamins. Many patients undergoing chemotherapy benefit from IV nutrition.
Intravenous therapy is a fast and effective way to treat patients who are suffering with a variety of illnesses or have a traumatic injury. Ultimately, your doctor will decide if intravenous therapy is an appropriate treatment option for your condition. To learn more about IV therapy at Ogden Clinic in Utah, contact us today.